Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sueding the Joint Sockets

This is called "sueding" the joints.  This is a process well known to porcelain doll artists.  Strangely, there is little to no helpful information about how to do this.  Therefore, I am experimenting and showing others how i am doing it.  I am using ultrasuede, which is synthetic suede.  Typically, very thin leather called pliver is used for this job.  I am sure it probably yields a beautiful result and luxurious movement.  I had some ultrasuede handy so that is what I used and I feel better about using it because it is not an animal product.
   I found sueding the joint to be tricky because you need to make a flat piece of fabric fit perfectly into an organic, curvy, 3-dimensional space.  This is something that is both frustrating and
exhilarating.  Once the pieces have
been cut to fit into EVERY socket you need to glue them into place.  Elmer's Glue All works well and is surprisingly durable.






No comments:

Post a Comment