Sunday, February 9, 2014

Endless Adjustments

After my disappointment with my first doll and set of molds, I re-worked all of the parts and made a complete set of new plaster molds.  From these molds I made the doll on the right.  You can see that she has balls in each joint socket, they are all separate.  While I was working on this version, I really loved the idea of having these separate spheres that I could eventually glaze with something unexpected like red or gold.  Once I strung this version, I realized there was too much play in the joints and the doll wouldn't stand on her own, which really bothered me.  Taking all these factors into consideration I knew I had to make even more adjustments.  I re-worked the elbow, knee, and hip joints so that the ball connected to the thigh, the ball at the knee connected to the lower leg and the ball at the elbow connected to the lower arm. I made new molds for these parts. You can see all of these modifications on the doll on the left.  I was satisfied with the way the doll moved for a time.  This familiar nagging feeling is creeping back into my mind and I know that what I have to do is make even more adjustments.  Soon I will be adding separate knee and elbow joints that will accommodate a fuller range of motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment